Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Top Five Books I'd Read or Recommend

The only problem with this list is that it calls for a mere five. My to-read list is up to about 60 right now, and poring over recommendations from The English Journal is doing nothing to dwindle that number.



1) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher-- This book made it to a few lists and has been on my own to-read list for a while. A girl named Hannah commits suicide and leaves seven tapes on the doorstep of a boy named Clay with instructions to listen and pass them on. Each person addressed on the tapes had played a role in Hannah's death.

2) The First Part Last by Angela Johnson-- This story of a teen father was mentioned in the "Summer 2004" article. Poignant and even amusing at times, this is one I can recommend after enjoying it myself earlier this summer. Told from the father's perspective, this short novel plays out far from what is expected.


3) The Plain Janes by Cecil Castelluci and Jim Rugg-- A graphic novel following a group of suburban high school outcasts seeking to liven up their town through artistic display. The art surely adds to this novel which explores the pressure to conform, self-expression, and the importance of art. This novel was on the graphic novels recommendations list, and as one who enjoys graphic novels (Spiegelman's Maus is a legitimately good novel, although the Sale/Loeb Batman comics are crackin' good reads too!) this is definitely going on my list.




4) Bliss by Lauren Myracle--This book was mentioned in the "Great Reads to Start the School Year" article. Bliss in the Morning Dew, daughter of hippies, starts at a prep school and in the midst of learning to make friends is contacted by the spirit of a former student. As the story goes on, she uncovers secrets about her school and is involved in a plot to free the spirit. As a fan of any sort of ghost story, this sounds like an interesting read to me!



5) The Loser's Guide to Life and Love by A.E. Cannon-- As a fan of A Midsummer Night's Dream, this recommendation from the "Shakespeare and YA Lit" list definitely got my attention. A boy named Ed is whiling away the summer hanging out with his two best friends and working at a movie store with a name-tag that claims he is Sergio. Eventually, a girl falls in love with Ed-- as Sergio-- and his friends develop feelings for each other as well, clearly borrowing plot points from Billy Shakes.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great list of recommendations. I have 13 Reasons Why on my list to read as well. I need a year off of everything to just read all day every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth that would be the best year ever! A year off just to read and write in peace. Perhaps Virginia Woolf was on to something...

      Delete
  2. I've heard of "The Loser's Guide to Life" and Love by A.E. Cannon before, but I'm definitely going to have to pick it up now.

    I can also relate to your reading list. I have a stack of eight books just waiting to be opened and a huge list on my phone (which has almost tripled since starting this course).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Thirteen Reasons Why" sounds amazing! This is also makes sense with the population I work with since most of them have wanted to commit suicide at one point in their lives or another and they blame their desire for death on many people. Also, there are those kids that cause that kind of desire for death in others and this book would make those kids stop and pay attention to their actions and how they affect others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you're recommending "The First Part Last" to others -- I love that little book (a great read in only 144 pages!).

    But the book that most intrigues me from your list is "The Loser's Guide to Life and Love." On the first page, the narrator describes his eight-year old sister ("the Lovely and Talented Maggie McIff") as looking up at him "from her unnaturally large pile of nude Barbie dolls." Quirky compels me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! 13 Reasons Why sounds amazing! This definitely moved up to the top of my reading list. I've always wanted to teach a unit on dead narrators, such as The Lovely Bones. Although I don't know if it is narrated by the girl who died, this would be a great addition! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete