Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Poetry: Sighing and Quoting with Learned Looks

This is how I thought poets looked. Bongos, anyone?
I have a sort of on again, off again relationship with poetry. I love it. I used to write poems in my journal all the time as a child and an angsty adolescent. Poetry was something I never felt I could really get into because my cartoonish mind focused on how a poet should look (thanks "Doug") and I didn't fit the bill.

In reality though, poetry is one of those beautiful art forms that-- to risk sounding cliche-- speaks to me. All the mushy love poems make me sigh, all the nature poems are something I relate to or long to experience myself. The way that poetry can sound so pretty and still say so much, even with form limitations, is wholly impressive. I loved it on my own even though I wilted at the thought of poetry in high school English classes.

I took a poetry workshop class in college as an elective. People have very different opinions on what poetry is, I've learned. Some of my classmates were the snap-your-fingers, sit-in-a-hookah-bar-and-write types, but others just took their experiences and made them real to the rest of us. I encountered Doty, Howe, and Alexie. I was falling in love again, and it strengthened as I read Shakespeare, and was fortified in my Brit Lit class.

I found a poem in the anthology for class when I was flipping through trying to find an assigned poem. It was "Adam's Curse" by William Butler Yeats, and it was moving and emotional, profound and beautiful all at once. Something about it stood out to me, and I find myself returning to it and musing about the old, high way of love and how to attain it.

Adam’s Curse
"We saw the last embers of daylight die..."
By William Butler Yeats
 
We sat together at one summer’s end,
That beautiful mild woman, your close friend,   
And you and I, and talked of poetry.
I said, ‘A line will take us hours maybe;
Yet if it does not seem a moment’s thought,   
Our stitching and unstitching has been naught.   
Better go down upon your marrow-bones   
And scrub a kitchen pavement, or break stones   
Like an old pauper, in all kinds of weather;   
For to articulate sweet sounds together
Is to work harder than all these, and yet   
Be thought an idler by the noisy set
Of bankers, schoolmasters, and clergymen   
The martyrs call the world.’
                                          And thereupon
That beautiful mild woman for whose sake   
There’s many a one shall find out all heartache   
On finding that her voice is sweet and low   
Replied, ‘To be born woman is to know—
Although they do not talk of it at school—
That we must labour to be beautiful.’
I said, ‘It’s certain there is no fine thing   
Since Adam’s fall but needs much labouring.
There have been lovers who thought love should be   
So much compounded of high courtesy   
That they would sigh and quote with learned looks   
Precedents out of beautiful old books;   
Yet now it seems an idle trade enough.’

We sat grown quiet at the name of love;   
We saw the last embers of daylight die,   
And in the trembling blue-green of the sky   
A moon, worn as if it had been a shell   
Washed by time’s waters as they rose and fell   
About the stars and broke in days and years.

I had a thought for no one’s but your ears:   
That you were beautiful, and that I strove   
To love you in the old high way of love;
That it had all seemed happy, and yet we’d grown   
As weary-hearted as that hollow moon.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how almost everyone has an image of what a poet is? I think of dark, smoke-filled lounges and coffee bars, where everyone is dressed in a Bohemian kind of style. Then I think of men like Dr. Lawson, Dr. Grant, and Sam Hazo, who isa local Pittsburgh poet, and it's just so far off my created image, that it almost makes me giggle to hear them read poetry. Although I can't actually recall an occasion where I've heard Dr. Grant read poetry. Anyway, I think that my high school and initial college English teachers did such a poor job of teaching poetry, that they kind of killed it for me. I just have this idea that poetry, especially good poetry or great poetry, should be hard to understand and interpret. I almost feel compelled to know the rhyme scheme and meter, when it most cases it is almost a moot point. I don't think any poet ever wanted readers to sit down to enjoy their poetry and ever want them to focus on the mechanics instead of the words, but that's just what teachers do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    I love this poem. I try not to write about love in my poetry, but only because I think it has been over done and because its not really my style. Nonetheless, Yeats' poems are my all time favorites. He truly was a master of the consciousness of love through his words and musings.

    Elizabeth,
    Dr. Lawson is an amazing reader and poet. Listening to him read is quite the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,
    I still have a hard time not picturing Judy Funnie when I try to write poems.

    Bruce,
    I generally always write about love in my poetry, although it's overdone, because it is my style. However, reading poems like "Adam's Curse" makes my feeble little attempts seem even more inferior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rebecca,

    I love the picture you used to illustrate your point about how society views the stereotypical artist. Also, I do not believe your attempts at poetry are feeble. In fact, more and more poetry nowadays are about universal, every day experiences and your poetry would probably fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My enduring image of the poet is Henry Wallis's painting "Death of Chatterton." And speaking of tragic, the comment I posted on Saturday has mysteriously disappeared. Perhaps that is the true meaning of "Adam's Curse"? :)

    I love the last two stanzas of Yeats' poem, and in my previous post, I wondered about other poems that mention the moon -- and thought that it would make a great assignment to ask students to look for other poets' descriptions of key images in a poem (in this case, The Moon). For example, Emily Dickinson, Carl Sandburg, and Walt Whitman write about the moon a lot. After locating other poetic treatments, students could be asked to write about their favorite, explaining their choice.

    ReplyDelete